COMPARATIVES AND SUPERLATIVES II
OBJETIVO: Practicas los comparativos y superlativos.



Activity: My family
With lower level students, you can combine superlatives with a revision of family vocabulary into a speaking activity. Ask students to secretly choose five of the following categories and write a name for each one on a piece of paper.
- The oldest person in my family
- The youngest person in my family
- The friendliest person in my family
- The funniest person in my family
- The nicest person in my family
- The meanest person in my family, etc. (You can think of other categories.)
Put students in pairs. Tell each student to ask questions about the other’s list of names and find out more information.
Is Johann the oldest person in your family?
No, he isn’t. He’s the youngest!
How old is he?
He’s my nephew. He’s only two years old.
This works well in classes where the students have/know about their extended families.
Activity: The coldest place I’ve been to
The superlative can regularly go with the present perfect (as in The best film I’ve ever seen was …). You could use this sentence stem to make a questionnaire. Make a worksheet with several examples. Here are some based around the theme of weather.
- The coldest place I’ve been to was …
- The hottest place I’ve ever visited was …
- The worst storm I’ve ever seen was in …
- The strangest weather I’ve ever experienced was …
Put students in pairs and tell them to interview their partner. To do this they mustmake questions, e.g. What’s the worst storm you’ve ever seen? They can also ask follow-up questions to find out more information. Do feedback on this as a whole class. Other thematic questionnaires of this kind could be:
Emotional experiences
- The most frightened I’ve ever been …
- The happiest moment I’ve ever had …
- The most nervous I’ve ever been …
Musical experiences (better with teens):
- The best concert I’ve ever been to …
- The worst song I’ve ever heard …
- The longest time I’ve ever danced …
- The best CD I’ve ever bought …
Places in your life
- The most dangerous place I’ve been in …
- The cheapest restaurant I’ve eaten in …
- The most boring town I’ve ever visited …