Sentences: Simple, Compound, and Complex
A common weakness in writing is the lack of varied sentences. Becoming aware of three general types of sentences--simple, compound, and complex--can help you vary the sentences in your writing.
The most effective writing uses a variety of the sentence types explained below.
1. Simple Sentences
A simple sentence has the most basic elements that make it a sentence: a subject, a verb, and a completed thought.
Examples of simple sentences include the following:
- Joe waited for the train.
"Joe" = subject, "waited" = verb
- The train was late.
"The train" = subject, "was" = verb
- Mary and Samantha took the bus.
"Mary and Samantha" = compound subject, "took" = verb
- I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station.
"I" = subject, "looked" = verb
- Mary and Samantha arrived at the bus station early but waited until noon for the bus.
"Mary and Samantha" = compound subject, "arrived" and "waited" = compound verb
2. Compound Sentences
A compound sentence refers to a sentence made up of two independent clauses (or complete sentences) connected to one another with a coordinating conjunction. Coordinating conjunctions are easy to remember if you think of the words "FAN BOYS":
- For
- And
- Nor
- But
- Or
- Yet
- So
Examples of compound sentences include the following:
- Joe waited for the train, but the train was late.
- I looked for Mary and Samantha at the bus station, but they arrived at the station before noon and left on the bus before I arrived.
- Mary and Samantha arrived at the bus station before noon, and they left on the bus before I arrived.
- Mary and Samantha left on the bus before I arrived, so I did not see them at the bus station.
3. Complex Sentences
A complex sentence is made up of an independent clause and one or more dependent clauses connected to it. A dependent clause is similar to an independent clause, or complete sentence, but it lacks one of the elements that would make it a complete sentence.
Examples of dependent clauses include the following:
- because Mary and Samantha arrived at the bus station before noon
- while he waited at the train station
- after they left on the bus
Dependent clauses such as those above cannot stand alone as a sentence, but they can be added to an independent clause to form a complex sentence.
Dependent clauses begin with subordinating conjunctions. Below are some of the most common subordinating conjunctions:
- after
- although
- as
- because
Watch this video so you can have a better idea!
Activity:
1. Read the sentences below. Decide if they are simple, compound or complex:
Example: Chris usually wears glasses, but he isn't wearing them right now
Simple / Compound / Complex
1. He always takes a shower in the morning.
Simple / Compound / Complex
2. When I get home tonight, I will call you.
Simple / Compound / Complex
3. I need to go to the mall and buy some new jeans.
Simple / Compound / Complex
4. She went to bed early because she was very tired.
Simple / Compound / Complex
5. She was very tired, so she went to bed early.
Simple / Compound / Complex
6. They needed to finish their work before they could go home.
Simple / Compound / Complex
7. In San Diego there is a famous zoo with many beautiful animals.
Simple / Compound / Complex
8. I’m going to stay here until you come back.
Simple / Compound / Complex
9. While I walked to work, I listened to a podcast.
Simple / Compound / Complex