Reading /Can Could
1. Read about Cindy:
My name is Cindy and I am a singer. I can sing and play the guitar but I can’t play the piano.
I could play the violin when I was young, but now I don’t practice so I am not very good.
I can’t drive a car so I take my guitar on the bus or take a taxi when I’m working.
My brother helped me learn the guitar. I can’t play with him anymore because he moved to a different city.
2. Answer the questions about Cindy:
- What is Cindy’s job?
- Is she good at playing the violin?
- Does Cindy travel by car, bus, or taxi?
- Does Cindy practice the guitar with her brother now?
3. Put the phrases about Cindy in the correct columns:
sing
|
play guitar with her brother now
|
drive a car
|
play guitar
|
play the violin
|
play piano
|
Can
|
Can’t
|
Could
|
4. Read about Paul:
Paul is from France and speaks French. He can also speak English.
Paul moved to Canada from France five years ago to work at a famous restaurant in Vancouver. He is a cook. He can cook very well.
When he moved to Vancouver, he couldn’t speak English. Now, he speaks English very well and has lots of friends.
Paul can’t see his family in France because he is so busy with work, but he is going to try to take a holiday next year to see them.
5. Answer the questions about Paul:
- Why did Paul move to Canada?
- Did Paul learn English in France or in Canada?
- Where does Paul want to go next year?
6. Complete the sentences about Paul with can, can’t, could, or couldn’t:
- Paul speak English five years ago.
- He speak English and French.
- He go to France because he is so busy with work.