What are your plans?
Goal: Students will identify the uses of will/won't in the future.

Will future expresses a spontaneous decision, an assumption with regard to the future or an action in the future that cannot be influenced.
Form of will Future
| positive | negative | question | |
|---|---|---|---|
| no differences | I will speak. | I will not speak. | Will I speak? |
With will, it’s common to use the short forms:
- I will –> I’ll
- You will –> You’ll
- He will –> He’ll
- She will –> She’ll
- It will –> It’ll
- We will –> We’ll
- They will –> They’ll
Use of will Future
- a spontaneous decision
- example: Wait, I will help you.
- an opinion, hope, uncertainty or assumption regarding the futureexample: He will probably come back tomorrow.
- a promiseexample: I will not watch TV tonight.
- an action in the future that cannot be influencedexample: It will rain tomorrow.
- conditional clauses type Iexample: If I arrive late, I will call you.
Signal Words
- in a year, next …, tomorrow
- I think, probably, perhaps
Here you will watch a video:
1. Complete the missing parts of the sentences using the words in the list:
will be
|
will dream
|
will be
|
will set
|
will win
|
will catch
|
will change
|
will close
|
will finish
|
will be
|
will end
|
will take
|
- It will be cold next month.
- Many people a cold in winter
- .
- Class soon.
- The temperature in March.
- The cafe pretty busy in the morning.
- The bird scared if you try to play with it.
- The sun at 6:03 PM this evening.
- I about the future in bed.
- The gym at 10 o’clock tonight.
- I an umbrella to work with me tomorrow.
- The movie late
- I think the team the game.
2. Make future sentences with will using words from the following groups:
|
|
a. Flowers will grow next summer.
|
b. Video games
|
c. The sun
|
d. It
|
e. The Winter Olympics
|
f. Leaves
|
g. The store
|
h. It ... next month.
|
3. Put the words in order for each of the questions in the conversations:
a.
|
in / winter / will / it / snow
Yes, it will.
|
Will it snow in winter?
|
b.
|
will / time / what / class / start
It is going to start at 9:00 AM.
| |
c.
|
the birds / winter / in / will / where / go
I’m not sure.
| |
d.
|
set / 7:00 PM / will / the sun / before
No, it won’t.
| |
e.
|
will / in / be / the next World Cup / 2017
No, it won’t. It will be in 2018.
| |
f.
|
it / cool / autumn / will / be / in
| |
g.
|
be / the next Olympics / will / in Canada
No, they won’t. They are going to be in Korea.
| |
h.
|
in / cars / future / will / fly / the
I think so.
| |
i.
|
it / rain / will / in / the / or afternoon / morning
I think it will rain in the afternoon.
|