INDIRECT QUESTIONS II
Indirect questions are a little more formal and polite. We use them when talking to a person we don’t know very well, or in professional situations, and their form is a little different.
Example of an indirect question:
“Could you tell me where the bathroom is?”
Phrases For Indirect Questions
- Could you tell me…
- Do you know…
- I was wondering…
- Do you have any idea…
- I’d like to know…
- Would it be possible…
- Is there any chance…
Yes/No Direct Questions –> “If” In Indirect Questions
If the direct question is a “yes or no” question (it has no question word such as what, who, when, where, why, or how), then the indirect question will have if.
Direct: Does Tom like Italian food?
Indirect: Do you know if Tom likes Italian food?}
Indirect: Do you know if Tom likes Italian food?}
Direct: Are your parents joining us for dinner?
Indirect: Could you tell me if your parents are joining us for dinner?
Indirect: Could you tell me if your parents are joining us for dinner?
Direct: Do they speak English?
Indirect: I was wondering if they speak English.
Indirect: I was wondering if they speak English.




